It’s no secret we live in a very technological world. Children of this generation are far more computer savy than we ever were at their age. I am no longer shocked that a five year old can navigate a computer or an Ipad. I am not shocked, but I am a little frightened about what children are being exposed to when they are on the computer. How easy is it for our children to be exposed to inappropriate advertising, or to navigate away from their game through links? The answer: very. Here are some things to consider when looking for online kids games to keep your child safe:
- Always make sure you know what websites your children are on. Check out the advertising that is present, and look for links and where they lead to. Many game sites offer parental controls and safety settings. Of course, some do not, so it is very important that we know what our children are doing on the internet.
- Set clear rules when your child is playing online games for kids. Let them know what they need to do if they do run into something that is not appropriate. Let them know that they are to never give out any of their personal information to anyone, and never to chat or communicate with anyone they do not know.
- Set time limits, as games can become addictive. Consider computer games as something that needs to be earned, for example when chores or homework is done.
- Set clear limits on what web sites can be visited. Let your children know what your expectations are and what you feel is appropriate.
- In our house, the computer is in a central location that is very visible, and laptops and ipads can only be played in the living room or kitchen. This helps parents level of awareness.
These are just a few tips to help your kids be safe when on playing online games for kids. The internet can be a very helpful tool in so many different ways, but it can also be